Re: Problem with compilation

Andreas Czechanowski (m075@ins.uni-stuttgart.de)
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 12:59:53 +0100 (MET)

Hello Martin !

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Martin kleinsorge wrote:

> I'm trying to test Your software with a Mustek Paragon 600 II N.

I'm especiially interested in hearing from your experiences with the
600 II N. I've implemented the backend part for this special scanner
type and would like to know if there are newer firmwares (my 600 II N
has version 2.0) out there.

> But I
> couldn't compile the xscanimage. So I downloaded the newest Gimp and gtk
> and it still did'nt work. (Other parts of the program were compiled in
> the right way, f.e. scanimage.) In Your table it is said that version
> 0.68 features X11 clients ("yes").

Compiling xscanimage works, if you have maked AND installed the
gtk-package (To be sure, you may "make distclean" or the like in the
SANE toplevel-directory, so that SANE configures right from the beginning
without caching some "knowledge" about what you have and what you
don't have !). The configure script tries to find the libraries
(libgdk, libgtk, libglib) and the header files, and if it succeeds,
it enables the build of the X11-frontends. On my system, they are
located in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include, respectively.
You don't need to get/install GIMP (I have not done so), but if you do,
SANE can be used as image source for it, AFAIK.

> Did I do something wrong? Or is xscanimage not supported yet?

May be there are some other known pitfalls when configuring SANE.
I did not have any problems with the X11/gtk recognition until now.

Andreas.

(This mail is in english because it is also posted to the mailing list)