Re: OCR Software..?!

Michael Burghart (mb@suse.de)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 00:06:39 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:

> Hi !
>
> > I started on an OCR program in July, but only got the
> > interface and some of the processing done before getting distracted by
> > other projects. See http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/ocr/ . If
> > you want to start a focused OCR effort, I'd certainly help.
>
> There is XOCR. Unfortunately the last public release I had seen is using
> inferior algorithms and detection ratio is not really good.

Thanks..;)
Yes, I know XOCR..I tried it a couple of times. Although I knwo it's quite
a lot of work, it didn't work properly..:(
So, I got on looking..and wasn't very successful..

> However it could be used as a starting point.

Yes..perhaps one could use at least some ideas as starting point..

> > There's a commercial OCR program for Linux described at
> > http://www.mentalix.com, but it doesn't sit on top of SANE.

Thanks..;)

> Hmm - maybe we should contact the folks there. They'd probably appreciate
> our project a lot ...

Why not indeed...!..I'll have a look at their page..;)

gruesse
-micha-

---
  Michael Burghart, S.u.S.E. GmbH, Gebhardtstr. 2, 90762 Fuerth, Germany
  Tel: +49-911-3247130 Mo/Do 13-18.00,	WWW: http://www.suse.de/
  Fax: +49-911-3206727,					Email: mb@suse.de
          [Error 23. Unable to locate /dev/reality. Universe Halted.]