Re: gtk-951025 patches

Tom Lee (tjlee@kiva.net)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 10:00:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

>Here are some GTK patches by Geoffrey Dairiki. I'm interested to hear
>whether these fix the UMAX problems.

The short answer is yes, for me.

The long answer is that the Dairiki patch by itself prevents GTK from
compiling correctly on my system (Linux v2.0.30 on i586). I went to
ftp.gimp.org and downloaded all the patches that have been made to gtk+971025
(the Dairiki patch is among these). Then I applied them to GTK in
chronological order. I'm not very experienced with patches, so I don't know
whether this is standard procedure, but it seems the safest thing to do.
Anyway, the end result was that when I applied the other patches before the
Dairiki patch, GTK compiled. Mostly. The makefile had trouble compiling
gtktest.c, but other than that it seemed to work.

After that, I compiled SANE v0.77, using the Rauch patch, and it does
seem to work. I have here a UMAX Vista-S6 scanner, and up to now xscanimage
has crashed about 9 times out of 10, actually working occasionally, but only
occasionally. I can now run xscanimage, and it hasn't crashed yet. (I cannot
close the preview window once it is open, however.) I get some strange
behavior when running xscanimage from within GIMP, though: after running it
once and exiting, I cannot run it again without exiting GIMP and restarting it.
After one run, the items in the "Acquire Image" submenu are all greyed out and
unavailable.

This is, however, far better than immediately crashing.

Oops: I just remembered that I have not yet recompiled the GIMP with
the patched GTK. It is GIMP 0.99.15, and it was compiled with GTK-971025, but
not the patched GTK. If the behavior I have described changes as a result,
I'll send a message about it.

--
Tom Lee (tjlee@kiva.net)
Project Manager (Software Development)