Re: success: Mustek 1200SP, firmware 1.02

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 01:09:33 +0200 (MET DST)

Nils Schuller wrote:

> A question to those who have the backround and could do this: Would it
> be possible to have some sort of dynamic allocation of BIG_BUFF-space at
> runtime? This would make much sense for scanning: depending on the size
> of a scan the program would request the needed amount?
> I have no idea, if the kernel supports things like that, or if it would
> be too hard to do that?

There is not much the kernel can do dynamically with this: You need
contiguous physical memmory (until the IO system gets a complete
overhaul as Larry Mcvoy is propagating).

<commercial plug> I'm in the business of writing Linux device drivers,
and I can handle a new assignment any time now :-) Anybody know a
device driver that needs writing fast? </commercial plug>

The upside of this is that I have I'll write up a patch tomorrow that
allows several different subsystems to allocate memory from a single
buffer that is allocated at boot time.

For example a video grabber would need a big contiguous physical
buffer, just like "sg". Using my big buffer patch, you would be able
to share that buffer between these two "users".

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a