Re: HP 4P problems

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 09:50:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Mathias Weigt wrote:

> Servus !
>
> > "sg" names get assigned in order of detection. The FIRST scsi device
> > always gets sga. If you have nothing else on your SCSI bus, your
> > scanner is sga.
> >

> > > Could the device files have incorrect major number, mine is as follows.
> > >
> > > crw-rw---- 1 root scanner 21, 5 Feb 12 1996 /dev/sgf
> > > Now I noticed running scanimage on virtual terminal that there was a message say
> > > ing:
> > >
> > > Detected scsi general sga at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
> > That is the strongest hint it is going to give you that you should use sga.
> >
> > Try using "dmesg" or a tail -f /var/log/messages when you run X.
>
> I had to setup a HP 4P on Sane yesterday. Indeed the Kernel said sgc and
> Sane didn`t work until I made a link from sg2 to sgc.

I conclude from your message that your filesystem layout uses sg0, sg1
... instead of the "normal" sga, sgb, ... The kernel doesn't know
your distribution does it that way. Neither do I.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a