Testing and OCR (was Re: HP C5100 photosmart)

Andrew Kuchling (amk@magnet.com)
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:52:58 -0400 (EDT)

Rex Vaughn <rvaughn@nova.org> wrote:
>What's everything? Is there a standard regression test that you run on
>a scanner to say, yes it does work?

The mention of "regression test" reminds me of something; I'd
like to see a test backend that doesn't actually do anything, but has
every possible combination of option type and unit and constraint, in
order to allow testing that frontends can handle every possible
option. This would be for testing a partially written Python class
that pops up a dialog box for configuring a SANE device, but it's only
been tested on the PNM and qcam backends. Unfortunately, I won't get
around to writing this test backend for a while.

BTW, there's someone named Stuart Inglis who's working on a
free OCR program; the Web page is at
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~singlis/ocr/ . Currently he has a set of
command-line programs which take PBM files and process them, but no
higher-level interface. I don't yet know what effect this will have
on my OCR attempt, but have written him for more info. If you're
interested in seeing a freeware OCR program, send Mr. Inglis a message
expressing your interest.

Andrew Kuchling
amk@magnet.com
http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/