Re: COOLSCAN II backend

Didier Carlier (carlierd@acm.org)
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:41:37 +0200

Rogier Wolff writes:

> Ohhh.. The coolscan wdb looks pretty normal.
>
> Didier do you have the SCSI spec? So does "section 14" mean anything
> to you?

Sure

> Anyway, the Windows driver issues a "change units" command, and then
> programs the window in pixels. The scan range is about an inch, so it
> sets the units to 1/2800th of an inch or something close to that.
>
> You can also try to simply specify a window of 0, 0 to 0.5, 0.5
> (600,600 in the default resolution of 1/1200th of an inch).

Would you have a trace of a scan from the Windows driver that you
could send by email ? That could probably help.

What puzzles me is that all commands are accepted up to the first
READ, at which point the front panel led flashes rapidly for a couple of
seconds. This, according to the user's manual indicates an error
condition, but the return code from the function is ok.
All further READs also complete successfully, without flashes of
the led on the front panel and at the end I get a black image (all
zeroes).

I guess there are a lot of places where a 'vendor specific' field of a
command is required to be set to some value for the scanner, so
debugging this without the specs (or possibly a trace ?) might be non
realistic.

Didier