LD_LIBRARY_PATH [was: Re: Sane newbie questions..]

Gordon Matzigkeit (gord@m-tech.ab.ca)
05 Jun 1997 10:35:19 -0600

Hi!

GM> On 4 Jun, Jim Chisholm wrote:
[...]

GM> With your problem I think I had the same problem. I had to set
GM> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib explicitly. Adding
GM> /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf did not work. (But this could
GM> have also been a problem of my current ld.so version, I have not
GM> looked into that for some time)

As libtool maintainer, I have a question for you folks:

When libtool installs libraries in your `/usr/local/lib', it should
print something like this (on Linux):

ldconfig -n /usr/local/lib
To link against installed libraries in LIBDIR, users may have to:
- add LIBDIR to their `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
- use the `-LLIBDIR' linker flag

Guido says that the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' setting is required.

I was under the impression that this `ldconfig -n' command should be
all that is required in order for ld.so to find your libraries.

Could somebody please verify this for me, or tell me what the correct
ldconfig(8) command is? This command should merge the contents of a
certain directory into the ld.so library cache.

Thanks,

--
  Gord Matzigkeit   | Proudly running pieces of the GNU operating system.
 gord@m-tech.ab.ca  |  Jacques Cousteau loved programming in assembler.