Re: sane-0.56 and hp

Mathias Weigt (p5iba@medchem2.pharmazie.uni-halle.de)
Fri, 9 May 1997 08:23:11 -0600

Servus !

> Simon> Note that I added the hp on the end -- it never gets put
> Simon> there for some reason...
>
> Simon> My /dev/scanner is linked to /dev/sge, as I saw in my
> Simon> startup:
>
> Simon> Vendor: HP Model: C2520A Rev: 3503
> Simon> Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Simon> Detected scsi generic sge at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0

> The debug output you sent indicates that the HP backend gets loaded.
> However, for some reason the backend doesn't "see" the scanner. Could
> you run:

I had a similar problem when installing a HP Scanjet 4P in a Linux environment.
My solution was very similar but brutal. As you can see HP scanners use Type
Processor (I think this 0x3). Just to get it scanning with sane I changed
in /usr/include/scsi/scsi.h (/usr/src/linux/include/linux/scsi/scsi.h)
the #define TYPE_PROCESSOR ... in #define TYPE_SCANNER ...
Then I recompiled sane and the scanjet was recognized correctly.
I mentioned this already in message00036.html in the mailing list.
Maybe this could be useful...