Re: Kodak ds-20 camera interface

John Kodis (kodis@jagunet.com)
Sat, 3 May 1997 20:01:11 -0400

On Sat, May 03, 1997 at 03:57:21PM -0700, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> Have you tried contacting Kodak? I'd hope they wouldn't mind making
> the protocol specs available. If you do contact them, be sure to
> explain how making the specs available could (positively) affect their
> sales. In my experience, companies are more willing to make docs
> available once they understand what you're up to.

I've hit their web page, and signed up for their developer's program.
They provide object libraries to access the camera from Wintel, Mac,
and Mac PPC platforms but offer scant little documentation save for
instructions on using these libraries.

The most worrisome sign I've noted are referrences to the proprietary
image compression format used by the dc-20. My guess is that when
they say propriety they mean that the source code and algorithms are
not going to be generally available.

I'd expect that I could reverse-engineer the serial protocol used to
transfer the imagery out of the camera, but if they're transferring
compressed data using some non-standard compression method comparable
in complexity to the JPEG compression used by most other cameras, I'm
afraid that the conversion of the compressed data stream into a usable
raster image is likely to be more difficult a task than I'm prepared
to tackle.

> Yes, digital cameras are starting to become an interesting alternative
> to film cameras and it would be great to have support for them in
> SANE.

They're cheap, convienent, and offer adequate resolution for many
tasks. If the need for a Wintel platform in order to get at the data
could be eliminated, they'd be even better.

-- John Kodis.