Re: feature request: xscanimage postview window

Gordon Matzigkeit (gord@m-tech.ab.ca)
27 Apr 1997 09:46:47 -0600

Hi!

>> When not using the standalone xscanimage, I think it would be
>> *really* useful if a `postview' window popped up after the image
>> was scanned.

AB> A simple and useful solution to this would be to be able to
AB> specify a pipe as the filename, just as xv does.

AB> Specifying "|xv -" would do quite what you want. Other might want
AB> to use "|ppmtogif >bla.gif" ...

Actually, no. This would only work for the first file that you
scanned, right? Then one would have to restart xscanimage for each
new scan. For my slow PINT backend, I want to avoid such a process.

The biggest use of a `postview' window would be a to be able to see
each scan attempt until one got it right.

But, the more I think about it, the more it seems that such an option
would be just too hard to make generic. Even having a `postprocess'
preference would be too hard to get right.

I guess the current workflow:

xscanimage&
xv out.ppm&
# Reload out.ppm each time it changes by hitting <enter> on XV.

is just fine, unless anybody has any other bright ideas.

Thanks anyway for your comments,

--
  Gord Matzigkeit   | Proudly running pieces of the GNU operating system.
 gord@m-tech.ab.ca  |  Jacques Cousteau loved programming in assembler.